Monday, May 7, 2012

A day in the life

It's been a while, so I thought I'd start back up by chronicling a normal day in our lives right now.

7:00
Trey wakes around 7:00. I'd like to say that I get up at 6:00 and have a wonderful breakfast ready for Steve and have all the housework done, but I usually stay in bed until Steve gets up for work. I'm trying to be more disciplined, but it's sure hard! I get Trey's milk and make him some fruit with oatmeal, and we sit on the couch and watch Sesame Street while he eats. Sometimes we do banana pancakes and scrambled eggs instead.





After Trey eats, he runs around playing while I grab some breakfast, empty the dishwasher, and get laundry started.

9:30 - 11:30
Trey goes down for his morning nap around 9:30 until 11:00 or 11:30. After I put him down, I grab a shower and get myself put together for the day. I also try to get other housework done that is tricky to do with Trey helping. :-)

11:30
When Trey wakes up, we eat lunch. He eats pretty much anything, so there's nothing in particular that we have regularly.  After lunch, we have been taking a walk, but with it getting so much hotter already, we'll have to start walking after breakfast.  We also run errands between lunch and his afternoon nap. If we don't have anywhere to go, we play outside, do chores, read, etc. He'll typically get a snack before his afternoon nap, too. 





3:00 - 5:00
Thankfully, Trey still takes two naps, so he gets his afternoon nap from 3:00 - 5:00. I usually need this time to catch up on stuff I want to get done before Steve gets home. I love that when Trey wakes up, he is always so happy.  If he wakes up fussy, it means he needs to lay back down. Give him a bit longer, and he wakes back up smiling and giggling. Lately, he has taken to doing a few laps around his crib when I go in to get him. :-)




5:00
After Trey wakes up, we start getting dinner ready. Things get pretty busy around this time, and unfortunately, Steve's not always home. That makes it more tricky! Dinner is usually a messy venture, but Trey definitely eats better if he's allowed to feed himself.  When he's finished, he'll start throwing food in the floor or smacking his hands on his plate, so I generally move the food out of the way quickly when that starts.  It's interesting to see him develop because when he tries to throw food in the floor, I'll tell him no, and more often than not, he'll look me right in the eye and do it anyway.  When Mom got me Shepherding a Child's Heart, I thought I had a few years to get it read.  Ha!

Anyway, if Steve is home, he takes Trey back to give him a bath while I clean up the kitchen, but if he isn't, I give things a quick wipe down and finish up after Trey's in bed.  Needless to say, I really like it when Steve is home for dinner!  Unfortunately that's only a night or so a week lately. :-(

7:00
Bath time!  Trey really enjoys bath time but gets out of the bath without a fight, so it's kind of the best of both worlds.  He doesn't really enjoy getting his hair rinsed after I wash it, but Steve discovered that he actually fusses less if you just dump the water over his head than if you try to lay him back to rinse out the soap.  Ok then! :-)  After his bath, he finishes his milk while we play in his room for a little while.  Then we get him into his pjs, brush his teeth, and read books.

8:00
By 8:00, Trey is ready for bed.  When I was nursing him, he would fall asleep nursing, but it's been interesting to see how things have changed.  I've still rocked him to sleep for the last several months, but the last month or so, we've switched over to putting him in his crib while he's still awake.  I don't regret the time that I've spent rocking him to sleep, but it was getting to where we'd rock for almost an hour, and he'd still be awake.  Plus, he was getting to where he would fidget so much that I would be all stressed from getting headbutted and hit by the time he was asleep.  He really seems to do well when I rock him for 10-15 minutes and then put him in his crib though.  Sometimes he cries a little, but usually he just talks to himself for a while until he falls asleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment