Friday, January 6, 2012

Cold turkey?

Well, we ran into our first significant nursing obstacle this evening.  Trey has still been nursing 4-5 times a day, but today, after nursing before his first two naps, he started biting me.  He was pretty persistent with it, so I would tell him "no" and pop his mouth (not hard, but enough to get his attention) and then wait a while before letting him try to nurse again.  He had some baby food between his first two naps, and had some graham crackers and water early this afternoon, but I was never able to get him to nurse or nap again.  Even at bedtime, he would turn his head away and fuss, to the point of getting fairly upset if I continued to offer.  Since it had been so long since he had nursed, I was a little concerned about dehydration.  He fell asleep very quickly at bedtime, and I thought once he was asleep, he would nurse without a fight but no such luck.  I tried every hour and a half or so and couldn't get him to nurse or take a bottle or sippy cup of milk or water.  At around 9:30, I gave him some acetaminophen for his teeth and thought I'd slip a few droppers of milk while I was at it.  I had Steve bring me in a cup, and all of a sudden, Trey was all sunshine and roses.  He took the milk out of the dropper easily enough, so I tried the bottle again, and he actually sort of took it.  The way he was gnawing on it made me a little nervous and a little relieved when he still refused to nurse, but I was at least able to get an ounce or so of milk into him.  I'll probably try to nurse him once more before I head to bed, but I won't be surprised if he won't.  I realize that he's almost 11 months old and that he was bound to wean eventually, but I guess I thought it would be a little more gradual...you know, cut out the daytime feedings but still nurse before bedtime for a while.  The thought that this morning's feeding might be his last makes me sad!  Especially since I'll only know in hindsight.  Had I known, I probably would have taken the opportunity to enjoy it a little more.  But dwelling on it won't change things. :-)  I guess we will see how the rest of the weekend progresses and see if he'll go back to nursing or if my faithful old Medela and formula supplementing are in our future!


No comments:

Post a Comment