Friday, September 21, 2012

Fevers are no fun :-(

Last week was kind of a long one around here. All day Tuesday, I kept thinking Trey felt kind of warm. He's pretty hot natured anyway, but I finally took his temperature, and it was 100.7. It seemed a little high for teething, but other than being warm, there were absolutely no other symptoms. My mom and brother came over to hang out with us the next day. Trey still didn't have any other symptoms, but he didn't seem to be quite himself, and his poor eyes just had that look. I went ahead and gave him some ibuprofen before bed at 7, and his temp was still just under 101. When I went to check on him before I went to bed at 11, his fever was up above 102. I gave him some acetaminophen, but he woke me up around 3, and his fever was up to 104. :-( I took him to the living room, and he was just so hot, and his poor little heart was going so fast. I actually took his pulse, and it was 180!

At that point, I woke Steve up because I wasn't sure that we didn't need to head to the ER. We decided to try a few options first, so I have him another dose of ibuprofen and held him in a tepid shower. Three o'clock in the morning and taking a not hot shower is not anyone's favorite thing, so when he cried when I tried to take his blanket, I decided a lukewarm shower wouldn't hurt the blankie! Thankfully we have eight of those things, so there was a dry one waiting! Even though it was a little chilly after our shower, I kept Trey in a diaper and grabbed a cold bottle of water out of the fridge for him to drink. Thankfully after all of that, his fever dropped back down to around 102. We kept him in our bed for the rest of the night because I really wanted to keep an eye on him. First thing the next morning, I called our doctor's office and got an appointment for 9:30.



You know you're sick when you watch TV like this because you don't want to move. :-(

I purposefully didn't give him any meds after the 3 am dose because I wanted the doctor to see how he was doing. His fever was still at 102, so they gave him some Motrin there. Everything looked fine, but she did call in an antibiotic since he was on day three with a fever. I really don't like unnecessary antibiotics, so I thought we'd see how Trey did the rest of the day before we got the meds. Thankfully his fever stayed back down under 101 with fever reducers, even through the night. After one more dose of ibuprofen the next morning, his fever didn't come back! Yay! Although I do NOT like fevers, especially ones that get that high in the middle of the night (Murphy's law!), I sure enjoyed all the extra snuggles I got while Trey was sick. I'm thankful to have my healthy, happy little boy back though!

No comments:

Post a Comment