Monday, March 26, 2012

Feeling Better

I think THINK think we are finally done with the sickies around here.  Shortly after my last post, Trey caught Round 2, which he so kindly shared with his momma.  We both tested positive for the flu and toughed it out for another week or two until we finally started getting better.  We both had to get the flu swab, and that was definitely NOT my favorite appointment of the year.  Ouch.  Poor Trey ended up with another beginning of an ear infection, so he ended up on a fourth round of antibiotics - azithromycin, cefdinir, azithromycin, cefdinir.  We definitely preferred the cefdinir.  Didn't make him puke, and he took it really easy.  At his last appointment, he was back up to just over 20 pounds, but after they drew blood, they determined his white cell count was up (ear infection?) and he was anemic, so he's been on Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins, and we've been trying to watch his diet to make sure the calories are up and he's getting all the nutrients he needs.  We have also made a temporary switch to goat's milk to see if that would help him clear up from the runny nose/cough/congestion.  I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but he got sick with all this for the first time right after he weaned and has pretty much been sick since the beginning of the year.  We'll continue the goat's milk for a while longer and then switch back to whole milk.  If we start having problems again, we'll see about a more permanent switch.  Unfortunately, goat's milk is $4/quart at Walmart (almost $20/gallon), and the cheapest I've been able to find it was in powdered form on Amazon for almost half the cost.  If Trey needs it and it helps him stay healthy, it's definitely an expense we'll take, but if he doesn't have a problem with the cow's milk, then I don't really want to be spending $10-20 for a gallon of milk unnecessarily! :-)
We've pretty much just been camped out at home trying not to share our germs or get any new ones, so I am ready to start seeing people again! :-)  We finally got out to church yesterday - I think this was the third time I've been to church since January.  We have plans to go to the zoo on Wednesday but are kind of playing that one by ear.  I'm definitely not an extroverted person, but after a month and a half of being stuck at home sick, I miss spending time with my family!  I did discover how hard it is to be a sick mom though.  Wow.  The Saturday I came down with the flu, Steve worked until after 10, so I was on my own with a fever and terrible body aches and a sick baby.  Not fun!  Thankfully he was home Sunday to help, but even through the first of that week, I just felt like crud.  Needless to say, my poor house went to pieces.  I had managed to keep laundry done, and at one point had no dirty laundry in the hampers, but all the clean stuff was in one huge mound in my bedroom floor.  I haven't been sick in forever (thank you, teacher immunities), but this one knocked me on my rear!  Trey took about another week after me to get all his yuckies cleared up, but has been feeling much better for the last week.  He's still on a probiotic and has developed a yeast rash from all those antibiotics, so hopefully we can get all that cleared up soon.  Poor baby has been through a rough last few months! 

The sun is finally out here though, so we are spending as much time as possible playing outside.  We're taking my car to the shop this week to figure out why it won't start sometimes, and once that's done and I can stop driving the black truck, we're going to sell the truck.  Instead of waiting until next summer to put up a privacy fence, we'll use part of the money from the truck to put one up this summer.  Between our neighbors' noise and pitbull they let loose and Trey preferring to run toward the street that borders our yard on THREE sides, I will be a much happier momma with a big fence.  Hopefully I'll be posting pictures of our beautiful fence soon!

And because no post is complete without a picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment