Sunday, April 24, 2011

First week of work

Wow, I didn't even think about writing on here until yesterday.  Last week went by so quickly, yet slowly at the same time.

School-wise, I felt completely lost trying to figure out where to even start!  It was like I had been gone for an extra summer (but not so warm) vacation.  One morning, we did our word study sort on the smartboard, and I put the screen shade on so the kids could do the sort at their desks and then check it.  About 10 minutes later, one of the kids finally says, "Mrs. Welch, you didn't give us our spelling words."  Oops!  Silly kids had been trying to remember our words for the week from the 10 minutes we spent sorting them together.  The kids were pretty riled up...combination of Benchmark last week and me being back after my maternity leave, I'm sure, but were doing better by the end of the week.  I have really enjoyed getting to spend time with Kari and Lisa though and must say that they're the only reason I made it through the days as well as I did! :-)

Home/Family-wise, it was a hard week, but I think it really was good for me in the long run.  I think I appreciate my time with Trey much more after feeling what it's like to have kids and work full time.  I also think it will make me much more appreciative of the privilege of staying home after this school year is over.  Honestly, last week kind of was a blur, but I'll try to write just a snippet about each day.  It's kind of blurred together, and I forgot a lot of what Mom said about how his days went, so I'll probably just stick with evenings! :-)

Monday - I left for work at about 6:45, and Mom just kept Trey at our house.  It was nice to not have to worry about trying to get both of us put together and out the door.  After I got ready, I just fed him while he was sleeping, so he never even woke up.  It was hard kissing his little head good bye, and I did cry quite a bit on my drive to Rogers.  Mom said he did pretty well and took his first bottle (5 ounces!) with no trouble.  He fought the second bottle a little but took another large feeding, and fought more with the third bottle.  I was out the door as soon as school was out and drove home as quickly as I could without breaking the law!  I had planned on changing clothes before I picked up my little guy, but I just couldn't wait.  He nursed and fell asleep almost immediately.  I pretty much held and nursed him all evening.  Steve even made dinner when he got home so that I could enjoy some snuggle time.

Tuesday - Trey and I got out the door pretty easily.  Once again, I was able to get up and ready and then nursed Trey while he slept.  I felt like this morning was actually the hardest as far as leaving him.  Mom met me in the parking lot, and it was so hard to kiss his little head before I left him for the day!  Even though I know he's in the best hands possible, I miss him so much!  Mom met me at the McDonald's by the Pleasant Grove Walmart after school, and Trey and I headed home after I visited with Mom and Lydia for a bit.  I must have talked too long because he got very upset about 5 minutes down 540.  We stuck it out until we got to the Outlet Mall, and I pulled over to nurse him.  After a few minutes of nursing though, he started grinning at me, making it hard for him to eat.  I let him eat a little more and put him back in his seat so that we could enjoy talking to each other at home instead of in the front seat of the car!

Wednesday - Getting a little easier, but I still cried.  I think this was the morning that Pam saw me upset as I came into the office and felt really bad for me. :-)  I drove to Bella Vista to pick Trey up after school, but he was asleep, so I didn't wake him right away.  I finally woke him up to eat and we headed home at 5:30ish.  Since Steve had church, I just grabbed dinner on the way home because I was starving.

Thursday - Only teared up when I left him, no actual crying. :-)  Mom brought him up to school for me on Thursday because I was so extremely tired.  I had actually scared myself a little on the way to work because I was afraid I was going to doze off while I was driving.  I'll add the diaper experience as a separate post next. :-)

Friday - TGIF!  I don't think I had ever looked so forward to the weekend!  Mom met me at Hairlines since I had a hair appointment.  Got my haircut (try to post a pic this week), and nursed Trey before we headed home.  Made it home just in time to feed him and get him to sleep before the tornado sirens went off.  That's a scary sound when you're NOT at home alone with a baby!  I managed to carry a sleeping Trey, the laptop, and the diaper bag to the bathroom and then went back into the bedroom to grab blankets and pillows.  I'm apparently not a professional because I did wake the baby.  Steve was on his way home right through the storm, and his truck started acting up on him.  He barely made it home.  The bad stuff skirted past us thankfully, but it was quite the eventful evening!

Saturday - I thought Trey and I would sleep in a little, but the little toot woke up at 1:30, 3:15, 5:15, and 7:00!  Definitely getting his days and nights mixed up since he's not taking a bottle very well.  I went ahead and just grabbed a shower after I fed him at 7 because Steve was still home swapping out his trucks for work.  It was kind of a blah day, so Trey and I ran to Walmart and then just stayed around the house.  I got caught up on some housework and somehow managed to not get a nap!  Trey slept a lot through the day though, including one 4+ hour nap.

Sunday - We were originally going to have a picnic, but the weather kind of prevented that, so after church, Steve and Linda treated us to lunch at Callahan's.  We've spent the rest of the day just being lazy at home.  Trey has slept quite a bit, and Steve and I both got naps.

I didn't get to see the Easter service this morning, but thinking about Easter as a mom has made it a little different this year.  I have gotten very lazy in my relationship with God, not spending time seeking Him out like I should.  It's easy to blame it on being "busy" but that really is just a way to make myself feel better.  I find time for MANY other things that should not take priority, so the time is there, I am just choosing to spend it on other things.  As I was reading the account in Luke yesterday though, I could not fathom how God could sacrifice his only Son for me.  I cannot stand to see Trey hurt, let along think of sacrificing him for someone else.  How Abraham could trust God so much to be willing to follow His command to sacrifice Isaac...it just boggles my mind.  What a gift, beyond comprehension, and how greatly I have taken it for granted!  God sacrificed his only Son, turning His face from Him (how that must have wounded both of them!)...it should bring me to my knees daily.  I pray that God will soften my heart again so that it aches to know him better so that Steve and I be godly parents, leading Trey to a relationship with Him.

A few things I don't want to forget:
  • Mom said that when I called her through the day from school, Trey would freeze and stare at the phone like he recognized my voice.
  • Trey would grin SO much when we were at home through the evening.  I know he's not big enough to get all upset being away from me, but it really seemed like he knew, "Hey, I haven't seen you all day and I'm glad I'm with you!"
  • Mom said he likes to talk with them while he's awake. :-)
  • Since he isn't eating a whole lot through the day, he's nursing a lot in the evenings and at night.  Early in the week, he started waking up once to eat, but by Saturday, we were back to him waking up every 2 hours.  He didn't do that last night, so maybe it was just a fluke.  Makes it hard to get through the day without getting sleepy, but I enjoy spending time with him. :-)
  • He giggled at me for the first time this week!  I was playing with him, kissing his hands, and it was apparently funny! :-)
  • He's chewing on anything he can get into his mouth.
  • He grabs at his shirt to try to put it into his mouth.  Still seems to be using his left hand more often.


    Hiding in the bathtub from the tornado!

No comments:

Post a Comment